Monday, January 31, 2011

Introductions


My name is Jordan Moore, and I'm a new transfer student at WestConn. I just received my Associate's Degree in General Studies from Manchester Community College, and my major here at Western is Photography. I’m new to on campus college life, and am still adjusting to small things like taking the shuttle bus to class. So far I am enjoying all my classes here and am starting to feel right at home in Danbury. The whole region of the state is new to me – I am used to Central Connecticut and even Eastern Connecticut after moving a couple of times. I went to elementary through high school in New Britain, then moved with my parents to Avon. I spent my most recent years in a house with my boyfriend in South Windsor. It’s definitely interesting to relocate.

So here I will tell everyone a little about why I am in this course. During the years I spent at Manchester Community College I took an Intro to Photojournalism class. Of course, you can guess that I am already interested in photography, but I also think I might want to be a photojournalist. I haven’t come close to any sort of solid conclusion on what career path I want to take with my degree. Right now I’m a junior, so I’m hoping I can narrow down the options by next year at least somewhat. I’m taking this Intro to News Writing course to help me get a better understanding of what writing for the media is all about. If I do end up taking the Photojournalism route I should have a good writing background after all the blogging ahead of me this semester.

Outside of school I am currently working at Staples as a part time Copy Center Associate. I will have been working for Staples for five years this April. It doesn’t seem like five years at all, which reminds me that the two years I have here at Western are sure to fly by, too. During the five years I spent at Staples I worked full-time as a supervisor while I was also a full time student at MCC. I thought now would be a good time to step down and work part time instead to really focus on school. It’s too easy to become locked into a retail career, and I plan to avoid that for now while I can!

3 comments:

  1. Jordan, I was a transfer too! I completely understand how strange it is to up-root yourself and subsequently hit the ground running in your new home. I came from living and going to school in a NY suburb my whole life to Danbury, so I know the feeling. Western is a great school with so much to offer if you get involved and really use the resources the school offers. I hope you grow to love it as much as I have in the time I've been here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're adjusting to Danbury and Westconn so well. I came from a tiny town in northern CT and it was all I knew. Once I moved to Danbury it was like a culture shock for me! It took me some time to get used to but now it's my home and I haven't been back up north in over four years. Good luck figuring out what your career path will be. It's great that you want a news writing background to get into photojournalism. I'm graduating and I still don't know what exactly my career path is...how about that? Enjoy the next couple years here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how a person can become so accustomed to an area. I'm from Western Connecticut, and just driving to central connecticut, everything's slightly different: the people, the attitude, the pace... Hard to explain. I'm glad you're adjusting :) What's your favorite thing to photograph?

    ReplyDelete